The errors vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x84.exe are common for PC users, especially during the installation of certain Windows applications.
Although they’re common, it is not uncommon for some PC users to still be surprised or worried when they see errors vcredist x64/84. Some users even wonder if there is malware operating in their PCs.
What Are Vcredist x64/84?
Vcredist x64 and vcredist x84 are essential software components of Microsoft Visual C, which is a Microsoft corporation product. They’re file executables, often written as vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x84.exe respectively.
Vcredist x64/84 are known as Microsoft Visual C++ x64 Redistributable Setup by name. The vcredist_x64/84.exe is the executable file component that runs the Microsoft Visual C++ Visual Studio or the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.
Microsoft developed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package to be used to install runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries (or dlls). These C++ Libraries are required to run the applications developed with Visual C++ components on a PC that lacks Visual C++ 2010, 2012, or other updated versions, preinstalled.
In addition, the Visual C++ Redistributable packages help to run several other Microsoft Visual applications appropriately. They also allow several other PC applications, such as games, to use the same Visual C++ package without installing it again.
What Are Errors Vcredist x64/84?
Depending on your computer or Windows version you’re using, you may encounter vcredist_x64 error or vcredist_x84 error, with an error message that reads as follows:
“Setup failed to update VCRedist files on your computer…”
In most cases, the errors vcredist x64/84 are related to installing third-party programs and applications, such as games. Most users report encountering these errors when installing some third-party apps that require Microsoft Visual C++ or Visual Studio.
For example, the Origin Thin setup often fails installation or encounters an error if the vcredist-x64-exe is missing. Other users also report installation or accessibility problems with such apps or programs as Skype, Outlook, and online games, which require the Microsoft Visual C++ package.
Other errors associated with vcredist x64/84 include:
“Vc_redist.x64.exe Error: 0x81f40001 – Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) can only be installed on a Windows XP SP1 (x64) and newer platforms.”
How to Fix Errors vcredist x64/84
If you encounter the vcredist x64/84 errors, you shouldn’t worry because you can fix them. The simplest solutions include:
- Uninstall existing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package on your PC and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. This has helped many users.
- Disable your third-party antimalware or security program to allow the installation of the application you’re trying to install.
Recommended: For further information and more solutions to fix errors vcredist x64/84, read this Outbyte.com article.
What Causes Errors vcredist x64/84?
Users encounter errors vcredist x64/84 with the apps or programs that rely on Microsoft Visual C++. The occurrence of errors can mean one of the following things:
- You’re installing a corrupted application: If the application that you’re installing is corrupted, for instance, corrupted Office Suit or corrupted Origin Thin, you’re likely to encounter an installation error related to vcredist x64 or vcredist x84.
- Malware infection on your PC: Malware programmers can write viruses or malware files with malicious scripts and are saved as vcredist_x64.exe or vcredistx_84 to camouflage and avoid detection. Using an antivirus program can fix the vcredist issues as well as many other system errors like error 0x80004003 or error 0x80070422.
- Corrupted or damaged Windows system files within the system may cause these errors. System files can be corrupted or damaged by malware or mistaken deletion.
- Third party security software such as antimalware, VPN, or firewall programs can block some installations.
- The version of Microsoft Visual C++ on your computer is outdated, corrupted, or missing.
You may feel irritated when you can’t install your application because of errors vcredist x64/84. Although they’re not essential Windows files, their absence or damage can cause some PC problems. You can follow the suggested solutions to fix the errors.