Error 0xc0000022 is a Microsoft Windows operating system error that is also commonly called Application Error 0xc0000022. Its occurrence can cause an unpleasant user experience, as most users have recounted in different forums.
Users operating the Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, or XP systems may encounter error 0xc0000022.
What Are The Symptoms of Error 0xc0000022?
Error 0xc0000022 can occur on a specific application running on Windows or internally on the Windows operating system. You should check your PC and system for error 0xc0000022 when you start noticing the following:
- Slow or sluggish Windows or application operations
- Security software issues
- Files start having accessibility issues
- File or application access denied
- Inability to activate Windows
When Error 0xc0000022 occurs, you may likely see the following error messages:
“The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application.”
“Windows couldn’t be activated. Go to Control Panel to learn about other ways to activate (Error code: 0xC0000022)
Recommended: Read this article to learn how to fix Error 0xc0000022.
Why Error 0xc0000022 Happens
Error 0xc0000022 is a common occurrence among Windows users. There is no known particular cause for Error 0xc0000022. It can happen because of several reasons, including:
- Application access rights: Incorrect application access configuration can prevent you from accessing the particular application that causes error 0xc0000022.
- Damaged or corrupted system files: For instance, a disk write error can cause damage or corruption of any Windows system file, which can result in the 0xc0000022 error.
- Interference by a third party Security software: Some antivirus software can be too strict and flag the application you’re trying to launch, then you’ll receive error 0xc0000022 or even 0x80070002 error.
- Incomplete or missing DLL files.
- Files with accessibility issues or incomplete files can also have access rights issues that can cause error 0xc0000022.
- Software corruption: If the software you’re trying to access has corruption issues or has been flagged by Windows systems, you may encounter error 0xc0000022.
Note: These are not the only causes of Error 0xc0000022. There can be more causes that can affect your user experience.
It is not wise to write off malware or virus infection when you encounter Error 0xc0000022. Virus or malware infections are known to cause several Windows errors when they infect the Windows system.
So, Error 0xc0000022 is a result of an undetected virus or malware infection on your PC system.
How to Fix Error 0xc0000022
There are several ways to resolve or fix the 0xC0000022 error. However, before you start fixing the error, you need to consider carrying out some basic cleanup activities if the error is temporary.
First, reboot your computer and see if you’re still encountering the error when you try to open an application. You may also run the application as an administrator and see if its access is still denied.
You can also disable your third-party antivirus temporarily and see if the error stops showing up.
If these simple workarounds to give you a solution, you can jump to more technical solutions such as:
- Fixing DLL issues
- Finding and resolving application access or permission issues
- Check the software protection services
- Scanning your system for corrupted or missing system files and repairing them using the SFC and DISM Windows utility tools
- Uninstalling and re-installing the application
- Clear the Windows service cache and delete temporary files
Sfc /scannow command is a powerful method allowing to fix many other update issues like error 0x80070422 or error 0x80004003. What is more important, it will not harm your system performance and would not require a backup.
Error 0xc0000022 can hinder your access to crucial applications or prevent you from activating your Windows. If you encounter it, you should strive to identify why it is happening and fix it immediately.